After purchasing a VisualWeather upgrade from 2.2 to 3.1, what is the best way to migrate to the newer version and put it on a new machine?
In the “Backup/Restore Network” entry of VisualWeather Help, it states the following: “Note: Beginning with VisualWeather 3.0, a restore cannot be performed from a backup file created using a version of VisualWeather prior to version 3.0.”
If a 2.2 backup is restored to a version 3.0 or later, the network structure (that is, station information) will be saved, but the database or historical data will not be saved. The following process, however, can be used to resolve this issue:
- Back up the VisualWeather installation using one of two methods:
- Copy the entire C:\Campbellsci\VisualWeather folder.
- Use the Network | Backup/Restore Network… option to create a backup file.
- Run a 3.0 or later install (trial or standard) over the top of an existing 2.2 install. The install will update the database information to the new format.
- Back up the VisualWeather installation using the Network | Backup/Restore Network… option to create a backup file.
- Install the VisualWeather program in the new location.
- Copy the backup folder onto the new computer. Restore using the Backup/Restore Network… option.