Our full technical support staff does not monitor this forum.
Please submit your question from our support page if you don't find an answer here.
Next Page

Previous Page

Created on: 05/22/12 03:54 AM

Cycling Power for a Cellular Modem

Replies: 2

Biosphere2

Cycling Power for a Cellular Modem
05/22/12 3:54 AM

I have a stream gauging station currently using a Raven XT cell modem to download the data to our office. The problem is that when Verizon does work on their tower the modem has to be reset so the new IP address can be obtained. This is a problem, since the field site is 3 hours away.

I am going to wire the power for the modem to the SW12 port on the CR1000 and am looking for the best instruction to cycle power. I was thinking something like this:

SlowSequence
If TimeIntoInterval(0,50,3)
SW12 (0)
SW12 (1)
EndIf
This will turn the modem off then on every 50 minutes.

I'd like to give the modem 5-10 seconds between power off and power on though. Any ideas?

[Report Inappropriate or Erroneous Content]

Dana

United States

Campbell Scientific Inc. Employee Campbell Scientific Inc.

RE: Cycling Power for a Cellular Modem
05/22/12 10:48 AM

Try using the Delay instruction between the two SW12 instructions, choosing the Processing Task as the task to delay. Make sure the scan rate of the slow sequence is slow enough to accommodate the delay.

You may want to review the help for SW12 in regards to how the instruction is processed when run in PipelineMode vs SequentialMode.

Dana W.

Dana Worley
Campbell Scientific, Logan UT
Product Manager,
Software Products
Manager, Software Support Group

aps

United Kingdom

Campbell Scientific Ltd. Employee Campbell Scientific Ltd.

RE: Cycling Power for a Cellular Modem
05/22/12 10:48 AM

A simple variation on your idea should work, as below, but you need to check that the modem should not be warned about cutting off the power - some do and whilst it will be OK most of the time, you can get delays in reconnecting or even internal memory corruption with some hardware. Sorry but we do not sell the Raven XT in Europe - our US office should help.

SlowSequence

Scan (1,min,0,0)
If TimeIntoInterval(0,50,min)
SW12 (0)
delay(1,5,sec)
SW12 (1)
EndIf
Nextscan

Andrew Sandford, Technical Director, Campbell Scientific Ltd., U.K.

Next Page

Previous Page

Please login to post a response.